IPMA News : December 2007
December 13, 2007, Board Meeting
Members Present: Mary Ellen Bradley, Thomas Bynum, Phil Grigg, Andy Hill, Andy Marcelia, ‘Mace’ Maciejewski, Fran Muskopf, Christy Ridout, Darrel Riffe, and Allen Schmidt. Phil Coates, CFO and Jim Andersen, the Forum Events Manager were also present.
Allen Schmidt, IPMA Chair, opened the December 13, 2007, meeting of the IPMA Board of Directors at 7:30 a.m.
Secretary/Treasurer: The minutes from the October 2007 Board meeting were approved.
The Board approved the October - November 2007 financial status and activities reports.
Business and Finance: Phil Coates reported that the final 2008 budget draft will be presented at the January board meeting for approval.
Forum: Jim Andersen reported that there had been three planning meetings of the 2008 Forum Committee to date. The following status report was presented:
- Should the floor show hours be reduced?
- One day schedule (Vendors choice)
- One day plus shortened second day (Rejected by vendors)
- Networking opportunity for vendors.
- Require visitors to wear name tag stating name, agency, and title. Vendors volunteered to fund and provide.
- Create time in midday when “the floor is the only action.” This would reduce number of breakout sessions.
- Allow vendors to schedule, use and advertise free tables for display, refreshments, or other “promos.” Vendors have experience with this effort in other venues and only need approval to proceed.
- Carpeting of show floor
- Vendors willing to forgo carpeting of floor in trade for attendee name tags.
- Need for sub-theme
- A sub-theme would tie both general and specific topics together for breakout sessions.
- A sub-theme would help vendors determine what to show in their booths.
- Determine content for breakout sessions by use of a matrix
- Major strategies include: Development, Communications, Management, and Accountability.
- Major areas of interest include: Security, Applications, CIO Interests, Technology Infrastructure, Virtualization.
- Marketing of Forum 2008
- Send emails to managers and CIO’s once a month
- Flyers to groups like ADAMS, PMI, LeaderPath and other IT user groups
- Flyers (electronic and paper) sent to St. Martin’s University, Evergreen State College and South Puget Sound Community College. These distributions will target the institution staff and faculty rather than the students.
- Place postings or have articles in the FTE newspaper and website that are made available to state employees focusing on the benefits of the IPMA Forum.
- Next steps:
- Flesh out more ideas for how to market Forum
- Make contacts and find out about web site postings
- Draft emails to managers and CIO’s
- Develop list of places to send flyers and make announcements
- Forum transition planning
- Jim has started a journal that includes the activities of October and November
- The documentation will capture copies of emails where necessary and appropriate.
Professional Development: Andy Hill reported that the January 23rd event titled, “Learn How to Transform Your Agency into a Highly Productive and Efficient Organization!,” has 35 people registered and ten people paid to date.
Andy indicated that the committee plans to have the schedule for 2008 completed by the end of January so that it can be included in the updated calendar insert to the IPMA pocket brochure.
LeaderPath: Mace Maciejewski reported that he had begun planning for the 2008 class cycle with UW and DOP. He noted that in a discussion with DOP regarding their continuing participation in the LeaderPath program it became clear that DOP owns the curriculum and UW does not, as was previously thought. They, DOP, indicated that they planned to do more marketing of the program this year and would take the lead on any curriculum changes mutually determined as necessary.
The end of program celebration dinner will take place January 15th. To date there are 27 people signed up.
The panel for the final class session, January 15th, has been filled. The new director of DOP training division will be on the panel.
Executive Seminar: Phil Grigg reported that the last of the PowerPoint presentations and notes have been loaded on the IPMA web site.
Communications: Mary Ellen reported that Bob Monn has agreed to participate in any activity related to the web redesign in any capacity the board desires.
Results from IPMA Planning Discussions: Dennis Jones reported that he had distributed this document shortly after the planning retreat. After a suitable time for comments had passed he created a checkoff list of all the items that the board committed to do in the coming year. This list will be the basis for the quarterly status report and review. The first status report will take place at the April board meeting.
Committee Responsibilities: Dennis distributed the draft document describing IPMA Committee Description and Responsibilities. He went over the document highlighting and clarifying specific items in the document. It will be distributed to all current and incoming board members. He asked that committee members go over the document and focus on the areas of their responsibility and send him their comments. He will turn them around in time for final action by the board at the January meeting. After that takes place he will identify any by-law changes that need to be adopted at the February board meeting.
2008 Board Assignments: Allen asked that as the board reviews the committee responsibilities document they give thought to which committees they would prefer to serve on in 2008. He asked that members send him an email stating their preferences and he will put together a draft for consideration. Committee assignments and board officer position elections will take place at the January board meeting.
CIO Breakfast: Allen presented a proposal for a January CIO breakfast planning discussion. The meeting objective will be a review of the IT Work Group recommendations and a discussion of how CIO’s can help. The proposed timing would be in the last two weeks of January. There was a discussion regarding participation and coordination with the committee leadership.
Next board meeting: January 10, 2008, at the Shipwreck Café
The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 a.m.