Leadership · Education · Networking

IPMA News : May 2008

May 8, 2008, Board Meeting

Members Present: Thomas Bynum, Pam Derkacht, Phil Grigg, Andy Hill, Andy Marcelia, Fran Muskopf, Christy Ridout and Darrel Riffe. Phil Coates, CFO and Jim Andersen, the Forum Events Manager were also present.

Andy Hill, IPMA Vice-Chair, opened the May 2008 meeting of the IPMA Board of Directors at 7:35 a.m.

Secretary/Treasurer: The minutes from the April 2008 Board meeting were approved.

The Board approved the April 2008 financial status and activities reports.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Business and Finance: Phil Coates reported that the B&O Tax issue with the Department of Revenue has been resolved. The Appeals division agreed with our position that we should be exempt from the B&O Tax per WAC 458-20-256. We have received the refund of $3,498 plus interest.

Communications and Marketing: Fran Muskopf reported that the committee has been distributing the brochures at all PD events. She plans to check with Bob Monn to see if there has been an increase in IPMA membership activity that might correlate with the timing of the brochure distributions. The committee will get together the week after Forum and begin developing plans to achieve the remaining goals for Communications established at the November planning meeting.

Forum: Jim Anderson presented the following status report:

  1. Corporate Sponsors:
    • Have commitments from 28 sponsors
    • Twenty-one have paid
    • The board approved the addition of a 29th sponsor.
  2. Vendors:
    • The Forum floor has been reduced from 78 booths to 56.
    • Twenty-three vendors have paid.
  3. Forum Committee:
    • The committee is working on ideas to increase interest in the vendor display areas.

       

      • A passport activity where attendees have to gather answers to questions to qualify for a gift.
      • A Sponsor provided activity at 2:00 p.m. both days.
  4. Forum Brochure:
    • The brochure went to the printer on May 5th, which is about a week earlier than year’s past.
  5. Forum Gifts:
    • No action has been taken so far. Jim is hoping to be able to use odds and ends from past events as gifts. He will be taking inventory after this meeting to see if that is practical.
  6. Wireless Support:
    • Qwest and Cisco have agreed to provide “free” wireless service for the Pavilion and the Worthington Center.
  7. Name Tags:
    • Xerox has offered to provide forms for name tags. Dell and Xerox will provide the needed equipment. Dave Sugarman is defining the database and printing applications.
  8. Advertising:
    • PDF files containing images of the Forum brochure are in the process of being loaded to the IPMA’s web site. As soon as Bob Monn completes the loading of the files Jim will start sending out mass mailings to everyone he can think of.
  9. Forum Pre-registration:
    • The Forum is using the same registration process that is used for PD events. So far, 50 people have pre-registered for the Forum.

Professional Development: Thomas Bynum reported that the April 22nd event had 172 people registered, 18 cancellations and 46 no-shows. With the walk-ins there were about 118 attendees.

The ongoing issue of no-shows needs more thought on the part of the committee.

The June 23rd event titled, “The Adaptive Enterprise: Security in a Changing World” presented by Martin Rodriguez, is on track and will be ready to go.

Executive Conference: Phil Grigg reported that there has been two meetings with members of the board to work on agenda setting topics.

CIO Meeting: No Report.

IT Management/LeaderPath: No Report.

Corporate Sponsor Meeting: Thomas Bynum reported that the committee has not yet met to plan the activity. He, Jim Anderson and Mike McVicker will get together this month to plan for the event in June or July.

OTHER BUSINESS:

Registration System: Andy Hill reported that he has had a conversation with Dennis Jones who will be engaged to put together a high level requirements document even though this system will not be undertaken until after the Web-Site Redesign. The plan calls for this document to be presented at the June board meeting

Web-Site Redesign: Fran Muskopf reported that Bob Monn had put together a questionnaire to identify the board members' needs for the web-site. The due date for completing the questionnaire is Friday, May 16th.

New Items:

CIO Selection Criteria for new IT Work Group: Andy Hill reported that Representative Ericks asked Allen Schmidt to prepare a list of several CIO’s that the IPMA thinks would be good candidates for inclusion on the reconstituted IT Work Group. To that end Allen wanted the board to develop a list of attributes potential candidates should possess.

  1. They should be from fairly large organizations.

  2. They should be independent thinkers.

  3. There should be representation from a non-central service agency.

  4. There should be representation from an agency lead by an elected official.

  5. They should be experienced in state service rather than a new hire.

Next Board Meeting: June 12, 2008, at the Shipwreck Café

The meeting was adjourned at 8:19 a.m.